After 7 years and some 90+ 1st Saturdays we have a new ZT Captain in town. Longtime resident Katie Ford will take over ZeroTrash Laguna and continue to set up at El Ranchito from 10 to Noon each and every first Saturday.
She will also have help from some dedicated Laguna Beach families who have volunteered. Come down and see Katie at El Ranchito on 1st Saturday, August 4th and meet her family.
We’re impressed and thankful for Katie’s activism in our community. Thanks Katie!
As many of you already know, we don’t take the 4th of July lightly in Southern California. We appreciate those of you who took the time to come out and PICK IT UP on Saturday.
As expected, our numbers were a little down, but we still managed to grab 250 lbs of trash & 320 lbs of recyclables from the streets of Laguna Beach!
In preparation for 1st Saturday this weekend (June 6th @ 10am!) we wanted to talk a little bit about cigarette butts. Every month we hear stories from you guys about them. Since most of you seem to share our disgust at the high volume of these mass pollutants that line our streets, gutters, and beaches… here are some facts to help put it into perspective:
- According to research, about 845,000 tons of cigarette butts wind up as litter every year globally. Cig. butts are the most littered item in the world!
- Littered butts release chemicals similar to those found in pesticides into the sand and ocean we play in, thereby exposing humans to pollutants we cannot see or smell.
- A recent study has revealed that each of the 4.5 trillion cigarette butts strewn around the world is toxic to fish: a single filter can kill a fish that shares a liter of water with the used butt.
- Many people seem to think that cigarette filters are biodegradable but this isn’t true… at least not in the traditional sense. The acetate (plastic) filters can actually take as long as a decade to decompose.
- It’s common for items like soda cans, snack wrappers, and fast food containers to have a simple “Please Don’t Litter” message. For whatever reason, smokers aren’t given the same reminder.
Just thought you might be interested. See you on Saturday, 10 am, at Whole Foods, Hobie, El Ranchito, LBHS, or Yogaworks & La Sirena. Courtney at Whole Foods has a bunch of goodies lined up for the Red Army & Michael Avila will be hosting the after-party, as always. We look forward to seeing you all there!
For an interesting read on cigarette butts, here is a recent article to check out from the NY Times.
May 2nd marked another successful 1st Saturday for ZeroTash Laguna. Big ups to the good folks at Hobie, Thalia, LBHS, El Ranchito, Whole Foods, La Sirena and Yoga Works.. you guys rock!
Highlights from May 2..
- Awesome 1st Saturday debut from Whole Foods… Courtney and Holly came out strong!
- Laguna Coffee and XS Energy Drinks for keeping the trash pickers caffeinated at each of our locations!
- After party at El Ranchito with a 10% discount for everyone in a red shirt!
A strong showing from the Laguna Beach community helped to remove another 590 lbs. of trash and 375 lbs. of recyclables from the streets. Many thanks to everyone involved – let’s continue this trend and work for a cleaner, greener Laguna and beyond!
Well we’re about to put April in the books and you know what that means. Time to get ready for May Grey and ZeroTrash Laguna’s 18th consecutive 1st Saturday.
You know the drill. Put on your red shirts. Grab your pickers if you have ’em. Join us at Hobie, LBHS, Thalia, El Ranchito, La Sirena/Yogaworks & our newest location.. the WHOLE FOODS MARKET on Broadway!
April brought us another successfull 1st Saturday. We appreciate all the great support from our friends at Hobie, Thalia, LBHS, El Ranchito, La Sirena & Yogaworks! Most of all, big ups to the residents of ZeroTrash Laguna! Our numbers were stellar this weekend once again:
Recycling: 580 lbs
Trash: 340 lbs
It’s good to see our numbers continue to move in the right direction. We’re getting better & better about properly sorting all the junk we find and sending less of it to the landfills.
On April 4th, ZeroTrash is excited to welcome two of Laguna’s best Mexican restaurants to ZeroTrash Laguna’s 1st Saturday this weekend! Remember, we pushed the start time back to 10am. You’re welcome, party animals!
La Sirena Grill will be teaming up with Yogaworks down in SoLag. Their food is amazing if you haven’t tried it yet. The owner, Scott Cortellessa, really gets it when it comes to environmental responsibility. All of his restaurants serve only local, sustainable, and organic products. They’ll be serving up killer breakfast burritos and the like, hooking up ZeroTrash members before and after the pickup. Yogaworks is offering a free yoga sesh right after the pick-up @ 12:30.
Avila’s El Ranchito is taking the place of the Brooks Street location. It’s right on the corner of Cress & PCH. Michael Avila is stoked join the movement and will be throwing a big ZeroTrash Bash at the restaurant. Tons of good grub, suds, bloodies & margies!
Free drinks will be provided by Laguna Coffee & XS Energy at these two sites, as well as Hobie, Thalia Surf Shop and Laguna Beach High School. You can show up at any of them at 10am to pick up your trash picker, bags & free t-shirt.
See you there!